[asterisk-dev] merge policies, supported branches, API/ABI freeze (was Re: Asterisk 1.6 Release Management Proposal)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat Oct 20 04:16:19 CDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 06:21:40PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Friday 19 October 2007 18:11:34 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > so what is in your definition the [most] "stable" version, trunk or 1.6.x ?
>
> 1.6.x
> Its only purpose in life is to be a stable trunk, fit for release.
>
> "When I grow up I want to be a stable trunk!"

so then trunk must be the other branch where changes (either bugfixes
or new features) sit for a [short|long] while and are actually
tested before they get committed.  That, BTW, is the same model i
was advocating, and the one used in FreeBSD.

My point is that you should never ever see the same commit applied
within minutes to these two branches (irrespective of the order),
otherwise the "testing" phase is obviously being ignored.
The latter is what happens with the current commit policy.

cheers
luigi