[asterisk-dev] how does a channel driver know the result of codec negotiation ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Oct 16 09:09:47 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:33:11AM +0200, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> For video, it's imperative to know what the callee responds at
> session setup. It's often also important for audio, but the failure
> aren't as dramatic.
>
> John has in video caps added a function that simply sends a
> message at answer time, AST_CONTROL something, with
> the capabilities on the answering side.
>
> I don't think this is optimal, we should have an attachment to
> the answer message instead. This was agreed upon at
> AstriDevCon, but I haven't seen any follow-ups.

ok understood - so it basically aligned with the idea i had,
and the separate msg vs. extending the answer message sounds
more like an implementation/backward compatibility detail than
a major architectural difference.

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply - even if it is a repetition
of something already discussed, it is not wasted effort
as not everybody is aware of previous discussions.

cheers
luigi