[asterisk-dev] IAX2 and jitterbuffer problems

Pavel Jezek pavel.jezek at i.cz
Wed Oct 10 15:17:02 CDT 2007

Russell Bryant wrote:
> Pavel Jezek wrote:
>
>> - not working when bridge two channles with different jb implementation
>> - eg. sip/h323/skinny & iax
>>

> I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  You generally don't want to use a
> jitterbuffer in this situation.  You only want to use it at the endpoint.

I have excessive jittery connection (wifi/cdma), endpoints (eg. ci$co
phones/gateways) can't cover this excessive jitter, I must dejitter on
asterisk and send to endpoint with smaller jitter...
I think dejittering is also needed before codec translation eg.:
sipA--(jittery
connection)--(iLBC)asterisk1(alaw)----iax----asterisk2---(alaw)sipB
I think, to be efective plc codecs algorithm, I must dejitter _before_
dojing codecs translation, so I must dejitter on asterisk1, not
asterisk2 or even endpoints...
but it's not possible, because bridging channels with different jb
implementations (sip vs. iax) on asterisk1
all this will be clearly solved, when jb will be efective in incomming
direction on _incomming_ channel, as many people expected
I think, kind of currently designed jb in asterisk is confusing for many
people....