[asterisk-dev] Zaptel Interrupt Issues

Bob bob_co at cox.net
Tue Oct 2 10:17:54 CDT 2007

I have not.
The way that I see it is that zaptel is very real time. I believe the
problem is that user space is not. There is no way of ensuring the
reader/writer of a zap device is woke up 1000 times / second.

The **RIGHT** way to address this problem would be to use some sort of a
ring buffer that allows the application to catch up like the network devices
do.

The easy way out is to schedule the readers/writers at a rate that they will
miss less often. There are no guarantees this way, but I have found that if
the kernel threads take more than a couple of ms before scheduling the user
time, the machine is about to start smoking anyhow. On the other hand, md
and eth devices can easily take 1/2 ms to return. Chan_zap will never have
the same priority as the networking bottom half routines.