[asterisk-dev] Deprecate every '* reload' CLI command?

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Tue Nov 27 01:15:43 CST 2007

27 nov 2007 kl. 07.02 skrev Tzafrir Cohen:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 12:44:56AM -0300, Eliel Sardanons wrote:
>> Hello,
>>       we have been discusing with Tilghman Lesher about adding a
>> 'voicemail reload' command because 'sip', 'iax' etc, has one, why
>> voicemail shouldn't, and Tilghman told me that we already have a way
>> of reloading app_voicemail.so (module reload app_voicemail.so), so
>> itsn't necesary to add a new CLI command. I always though 'module
>> reload *' as a low level command because the 'pbx administrator' must
>> know which module handles voicemail config (trivial in this case
>> but..) but Tilghmans though is ok, why should be doing things
>> duplicate, why not have just one way of reloading modules, and thats
>> why I am asking here, we should deprecate every '* reload' cli
>> command? I think is a good idea, or, we should add '* reload' to
>> every
>> command (at least every app/pbx/res/chan that reads from a config
>> file).
>
> It is lower level. How would I know that "sip" is reloaded by
> reloading
> chan_sip.so, "voicemail" is loaded by reloading app_voicemail.so and
> "moh" is reloaded by reloading res_musiconhold.so ?

There's also a usability issue here. I don't think we should force all
Asterisk admins to learn the names of the modules and learn which
modules actually make sense to reload. It's complicated enough.

Asterisk is gaining new grounds and we reach users that doesn't
know internal linux architectures, dynamic module loading,
or basic linux commands...

/O