[asterisk-dev] Deprecate every '* reload' CLI command?

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:42:14 CST 2007

Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Eliel Sardanons wrote:
>

>>       we have been discusing with Tilghman Lesher about adding a
>> 'voicemail reload' command because 'sip', 'iax' etc, has one, why
>> voicemail shouldn't, and Tilghman told me that we already have a way
>> of reloading app_voicemail.so (module reload app_voicemail.so), so
>> itsn't necesary to add a new CLI command. I always though 'module
>> reload *' as a low level command because the 'pbx administrator' must
>> know which module handles voicemail config (trivial in this case
>> but..) but Tilghmans though is ok, why should be doing things
>> duplicate, why not have just one way of reloading modules, and thats
>> why I am asking here, we should deprecate every '* reload' cli
>> command? I think is a good idea, or, we should add '* reload' to every
>> command (at least every app/pbx/res/chan that reads from a config
>> file).
>>
>> Reference:
>> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11365
>>

> Doesn't "foo reload" just re-read the appropriate configuration file while
> "reload foo.so" unload and load the compiled module code? This may not a
> be desirable change.

 The "reload" function of the module is what you make of it. If you are
the module author you can choose to put a stub function there and it
will do simply that, nothing. The module reload, on the other hand, will
do far more than that. While it's certainly possible through code/design
to have both commands have the same net effect, that's only through
code/design and not because they will always do the same thing by
definition.

--

Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/