[asterisk-dev] dialplan redesign - don't forget characters (New topic)

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Thu Nov 22 13:21:18 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:09 +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
> 21 nov 2007 kl. 10.01 skrev Luigi Rizzo:

> >> One thing that has to be considered as well if we redesign is
> >> alphanumeric
> >
> > There is nothing preventing alphanumeric extensions at least in the
> > old matching algorithm - the only annoyance is the need to 'escape'
> > some characters ( _ N Z X / come to mind ) as [N] [Z] etc.  to
> > override their special meaning on asterisk patterns.
> Well, you can't properly match Östertälje at myasterisk.com today.
> Or give ranges like [A-Ö]xp[0-3]
>
> > But then, this is trivial to overcome by providing an alternative
> > syntax for extensions (and supporting both in parallel is easy)
> > and besides all regexp implementations have their own special
> > characters.
> That was our proposal. Let's find a URL so you can check it.
> http://edvina.net/asterisk/alphanumericextensions.pdf
>
> May 2005 :-)
>
> TTT - Things Take Time...
>
> /O

Olle-- thanks for the ref to this doc. If we agree that the extensions.*
file is in utf-8 format, I think it would not be that hard to switch the
internals to use unicode internally instead of ascii. I just need some
good free routines to convert from utf-8 to unicode chars, and some
simple comparison functions that work on unicode arrays instead of just
8-bit ascii/8859 stuff. I don't think we need to resort to a new config
file variable like alphaexten; it should be pretty upwards compatible.
-- I haven't read it thru carefully yet, but that's my gut reaction.

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer