[asterisk-dev] Deprecate app_saycountpl

Igor A. Goncharovsky igi-go at ya.ru
Thu Nov 22 09:39:01 CST 2007

Hi,

I am really not finished with previous mail. I want do discuss question
about deprecating app_saycountpl in *-addons. This application is very
simple and there is many resons to deprecate it using and delete it in
next releases:
1) This code no reasons to be in *-addons. There is no any dependences
from GPL libraries as in case of other modules in addons.
2) This code need to be maintained.  There are often situation when API
of asterisk changed or there are some Janitor project. Then addons need
to be corrected. For example now app_saycountpl still using "|"
separator for args, and seems that nobody wants to fix it.
3) This module only for Poland, but same problem existing also for many
languages (Russian for example). We also have different cases of
counting words for different numbers. Is there any reason to keep so
specific module?
4) It is no need in writing general purpose module, because task of
determine needed word is very easy and can be solved by 6 strings of
dialplan, or in any AGI. For example smthing like that:

[macro-saycount]
exten => s,1,Set(REM=$[${ARG4}%10])
exten => s,n,GotoIf($[${REM} > 4]:b)
exten => s,n,GotoIf($[${REM} > 1]:a)
exten => s,n,Say(${ARG1})
exten => s,n(a),Say(${ARG2})
exten => s,n(b),Say(${ARG3})

Usage:
exten => _X,1,Macro(saycount,kopejka,kopejki,kopejek,${EXTEN})

Simple? App_saycount.pl have size 3068 bytes. I think many peoples
compile it, but nobody using. This app also have no description on
voip-info.org.
What developers think about this?

--
Best regards,