[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r89452 - in /trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 21 08:57:54 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 13:28 -0500, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 13:20:49 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > it is actually a big burden. there are 145 different version of each of the
> > tools, some of which are incompatible with each other,
> > and not all build on all platforms.
>
> This statement sounds awfully like FUD.
>
> What's wrong with autoconf >= 2.60? That's the official guideline, hardcoded
> into configure.ac. Pretty much any distribution nowadays comes with it.

Nothing except that Red Hat RHEL 4.x and 5, CentOS 4.x and 5 all have
2.59 or earlier so enforcing 2.60 will cause problems for the users of
these distros that want/need to run bootstrap.sh. Imho "pretty much" is
a whole lot smaller with these 2 distros not in the autoconf 2.60 camp.

Similarly I really don't understand why Asterisk 1.4 requires autoconf
2.60 when that is not supported by the distros mentioned above. One
would think this is taken into account. Funny thing is that after
ripping out some parts, bootstrap.sh works fine on CentOS 5 with
autoconf 2.59. So why hardcoding 2.60? But I digress.

Regards,
Patrick