[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r89452 - in /trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

critch critch at basesys.com
Tue Nov 20 12:38:36 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:20 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:10:50PM -0600, critch wrote:
> > >
> > > Is a user who uses SVN really a user or something more? Is making the
> > > Autotools a prerequisite for SVN users too much to ask?
> > >
> > > Of course release and snapshot tarballs would contain a generated configure
> > > since people who don't use SVN are not expected to have a full development
> > > setup.
> >
> > Having autotools isn't that big of a burden compared to all the rest of
>
> it is actually a big burden. there are 145 different version of each of the
> tools, some of which are incompatible with each other,
> and not all build on all platforms.

And how many people are running a svn checkout that don't either know
what they are doing, or have access to the tools built for their distro?

I for one would just install the latest for my distro and know that they
have watched out for what ones go together. After that it isn't that big
of a deal. If someone is going out on a strange platform or
distribution, they are likely to have access to something not so exotic
to make the files before transfering to the exotic platform.
--
critch <critch at basesys.com>