[asterisk-dev] Why not C++?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Nov 7 13:42:33 CST 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 13:12:21 Dmitry Andrianov wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On 11/7/07, Power, Paul C. <ppower at integratelecom.com> wrote:
> > > 	I was wondering why Asterisk is not written in C++ or if
> > > 	there is any interest in having Asterisk written in C++.
> >
> > http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html
>
> That is not serious.
>
> It is not “why C++ is worse than C”. It is “why C++ is worse than some
> ideal language I have in mind”.

Actually, a good portion of the page explains why C++ is worse, in some ways,
than C.  The summary of it is that C is a third level language, and the
constructs thus make debugging possible, while C++ attempts to straddle the
fence on 3rd level and 4th level and manages to get the disadvantages of both
levels.

Personally, I don't know C++, and people who have been around for awhile know
that I'm a very prolific contributor.  My inclination is to stay with C.

--
Tilghman