[asterisk-dev] LUA in Asterisk. was [svn-commits] tilghman: trunk r88250 - in /trunk: ./ build_tools/ configs/ include/asterisk...

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Nov 3 09:13:02 CDT 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 06:57:56 Victor Sergeev wrote:
>  That's a great feature!
>
> Does it mean that Digium decided to replace AEL with LUA?

No.

> It seems there'll be no sense to use AEL anymore if you can do the same in
> real programming language.

Are you saying that users shouldn't have a choice?

> It's strange that such major feature was added without any discussion with
> development community (Nov 1 patch submitted, next day it is in the trunk).

Here's your chance.  Discuss.

> Recently was discussed a topic about release cycle. IMO Asterisk should
> have a roadmap for every release and such kind of addition should be
> planned and announced to community.

We don't roadmap, because we have no idea what code will be submitted to us
during each development cycle.  Asterisk is strongly community-oriented as to
its direction.  Submissions of new code are always welcome.

We did not know LUA was coming, but once it arrived, we added it.  If you want
to submit a properly licensed implementation of the dialplan in another
language, go right ahead.

--
Tilghman