[asterisk-dev] asterisk trunk on windows...

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Nov 1 09:50:48 CDT 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Still cannot do much with it because I haven't been able (yet) to
> load modules; dlopen complains with "permission denied" when trying
> to load the .so files. I haven't managed to embed the modules either
> - in this case it is the static linker that doesn't seem to like
> the .link files produced
>
> However I am confident the problem is trivial and only due to my lack of
> knowledge on linker operation in general and on cygwin specifically.
> If someone has suggestions I am all ears...

The only suggestion I have is to check out the modifications that were done in
Asterisk 1.2 that got it to work.

$ svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.2 asterisk-1.2

There are some interesting bits in both the Makefile in the root, as well as the
Makefiles in the subdirectories.

In the main Makefile, where we build asterisk as an executable, it builds
Asterisk as a dll.  Then, it builds a small wrapper application that loads
asterisk.dll.  Just search for "CYGWIN".

Then, if you look at a sub-Makefile such as apps/Makefile, you can see what
additional LDFLAGS were used.

> [my next goals are to fix at least the chan_oss/chan_console build,
> and then add the video support that is in the video_v2 branch,
> so i finally have a configurable videophone under windows!]

Cool.  :)

If you have problems getting the OSS support under cygwin working, then you're
certainly welcome to start playing with chan_console, since libportaudio
supports various windows sound systems.  However, if you have trouble with it,
problem.  It still gives me trouble on my Mac, and it hasn't been a high enough
priority to fix it up and finish it.  Help is welcome, of course.  ;)

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer