[asterisk-dev] Re: Meetme record-name enhancement

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu May 31 09:17:05 MST 2007

Kevin,

Thanks for the comments. I haven't come across channel datastores yet.

Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>
> > a) Add an option to Meetme that stores the name of the recorded name file
> > in a channel variable, and does not delete the file when the user exits
> > from the conference. On entry to a conference, if the channel variable
> > exists and points to a valid file, the user is not prompted, but the
> > existing recorded name file is used instead for announcing the user
> > joining and leaving.
>
> Since this feature would go only into trunk, you can use a channel
> datastore instead of a channel variable, which would allow you to store
> additional information as well if needed.

The feature might only get accepted into trunk, but I would also intend
to implement it for 1.4, so would write it in a way that is compatible
with that release.

> > b) Add a couple of new application commands to Meetme. One that will just
> > allow the user to record their name without joining a conference, and will
> > set up the channel variable (this allows the name recording to be done in
> > the dialplan without immediately joining a conference). Another that
> > should be called from the 'h' extension, which will delete the file named
> > in the channel variable. These commands could be MeetmeNameRecord and
> > MeetmeNameDiscard, or perhaps just MeetmeName with an argument to specify
> > which operation should be performed.
>
> The 'discard' operation won't be necessary if you use a datastore,
> because your custom destructor will be called when the channel is being
> torn down and you can remove the file(s) at that time as well.

That is certainly an interesting concept, which is presumably only in trunk.

This raises an interesting tension between release branches and trunk, which
I don't think has ever been adequately thought through. Rather than sidetrack
this thread with my comments on it, I'll start a fresh one, and leave this
thread for any other comments on the Meetme idea.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield