[asterisk-dev] Meetme record-name enhancement

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu May 31 04:38:28 MST 2007

I'm thinking of adding an enhancement to Meetme and I'd like to gather
other people's thoughts on it before going ahead.

The problem:

For a particular application, I want to use the i option to have the user
record their name and then have it announced to the conference. The same
application requires users to be moved between different conferences under
the control of an operator. Each time they join a conference, they will be
required to record their name again.

The possible solution that I'm considering:

a) Add an option to Meetme that stores the name of the recorded name file
in a channel variable, and does not delete the file when the user exits
from the conference. On entry to a conference, if the channel variable
exists and points to a valid file, the user is not prompted, but the
existing recorded name file is used instead for announcing the user
joining and leaving.

b) Add a couple of new application commands to Meetme. One that will just
allow the user to record their name without joining a conference, and will
set up the channel variable (this allows the name recording to be done in
the dialplan without immediately joining a conference). Another that
should be called from the 'h' extension, which will delete the file named
in the channel variable. These commands could be MeetmeNameRecord and
MeetmeNameDiscard, or perhaps just MeetmeName with an argument to specify
which operation should be performed.

Any comments?

Cheers
Tony