[asterisk-dev] Re: Realtime and call states in SIP

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 30 05:01:16 MST 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> I don't see the point of limiting the number of peers in the cache. I
> bet very few people are using realtime in order to save memory --
> for the price of one phone you can buy memory enough to cache
> thousands.

Agreed.

> Asterisk needs a way to have dynamic peers while still keeping the
> same functionality that static peers get -- the current system with
> "caching" is almost there, just badly misnamed.

Agreed. This is what we discussed conceptually last week at the DevCon.
I just don't understand why Realtime was supposed to 'save memory' at
all; Asterisk servers don't generally use a lot of memory. I think the
real motivation for reducing the number of peers in memory was NOT
memory savings, but instead was to reduce list searching and lock
contention, problems which can be solved in other ways without bringing
in all the negative side effects of realtime loading and caching.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies