[asterisk-dev] iax2 mini frames and speex

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Thu May 24 21:36:45 MST 2007

Yusuf Bey wrote:
> Hi, I'm developing an IAX client that uses Speex, and when I make a
> call I get mini frames with 21 bytes of data. I believe Speex expects
> 160 bytes. So I'm not sure what to do. Concatenate the 21 bytes of
> each packet? Somehow get Speex to decode 21 bytes at a time? Thanks in
> advance for any advice you may have.

The speex decoder does not expect 160 bytes;  it expects 160 encoded
samples (in narrowband modes, which are the only ones defined for IAX2
at the moment).  If that was 160 bytes, it wouldn't be very good
compression (it would be 64kbps, just like uLaw).  21 bytes would be
8.4kbps, which is probably the 8kbps mode + some padding.

-SteveK