[asterisk-dev] Notes from SNMP breakout session

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu May 24 10:14:15 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 10:13 -0500, Brandon Kruse wrote:
> I personally think all the infrastructure is already in snmp.c
>
> All we need to do now is manage it, and add more content and statistics.
> All you really have to do is look up the CLI command you like and find the
> function that returns the numbered or string result of certain commands.
>
> For example, I have been hacking at this for a couple of weeks and I have
> gotten most of the IAX2 statistics that you get when you issue an iax2 show stats
> CLI command.
>

> I would love to have more people jump on the bandwagon and start deving on it. Then all
> that is left to do is write some docs on the specific SNMP values and map them to what they
> are. Write a sample template for cacti (done already) and nagios, and other leading SNMP monitoring
> tools. Then we just let the community adapt and take it from there.
>
> What do you think?

I have a minimal plugin built already for hyperic for monitoring
asterisk via snmp.

http://www.basesys.com/~critch/hq-asterisk-plugin.tgz

Primary use I have for it is monitoring channels in use and setting an
alarm when we approach too many channels in use.

I stopped worrying about it at this point as that was the only stat I
was concerned with. Hopefully anyone interested in working with this
more can write in the other stats they are interested in. After all it
is only a XML file.