[asterisk-dev] Getting negotiated formats

Lorenzo Miniero lorenzo.miniero at unina.it
Thu May 24 05:19:49 MST 2007

Hi all,

I have a doubt regarding a feature that I couldn't exploit, even though
Kevin Flaming stated was there.

Since I'm working on a remote videomixer for MeetMe, I need to know
which formats have been negotiated when a user joins a conference, e.g.
if the user will be using H.261, h263 and so on, to setup an adequate
leg towards the external mixer and to forward the user the composed mix
in a format it understands. The only way I have been able to do it so
far is by waiting for the user to send its first video frame, and then
look at its subclass: this of course is an all but the perfect solution,
since a user could never send any video frame at all.
However, on the asterisk-dev ML I have been told that it should however
be possible to get the same information by just accessing some fields in
the ast_channel structure. By deduction, I supposed this information was
stored as a bit mask in readformat and writeformat, but I couldn't get
any coherent info from there in the scenarios I tried. Do you know if
there actually is a way to achieve this, or if support for this is
incomplete?

Thanks in advance, hope to hear you soon,

Lorenzo
--
Lorenzo Miniero, Junior Researcher
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
Email: lorenzo.miniero at unina.it