[asterisk-dev] Docs converted to TeX?

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Tue May 22 03:33:31 MST 2007

22 maj 2007 kl. 04.02 skrev Russell Bryant:

> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>> I discovered today that in -trunk all the docs have been converted
>> to TeX format.  Are these docs the only ones that will be in the
>> release tarball?  If so, I think it is a bad idea.
>> We do not want to make people install yet another dependency to be
>> able to read the basic Asterisk documentation.
>
> By the time Asterisk 1.6 comes around, I plan on editing the
> Asterisk release script to automatically include some user friendly
> format of the documentation in the tarball.  I am thinking HTML
> would probably be best.

That means that it is better to go back to doxygen all the way.
Doxygen can generate html, windows help files and other formats and
it's something we already use and want developers and people who
contribute documentation to use.

As I said before, using Tex for the docs breaks the integration we
already have between the doxygen docs and the doc/ files.

Let's not add another tool, it's already hard enough to get the
community to add doxygen.

Instead, let's make two doxygen targets - devdocs and admindocs.
Admindocs is the READMEs and some of the doc included
in the source code, but without all the .c and .h files.

/O