[asterisk-dev] Re: Channel driver API question

Lorenzo Miniero lorenzo.miniero at unina.it
Thu May 17 06:27:05 MST 2007

Kevin P. Fleming ha scritto:
> Lorenzo Miniero wrote:
>
>> Is itt currently possible in Asterisk to have more freedom/power/control
>> upon the underlying private signaling technology in any other way? if
>> not, are there any plans to do it, by for example extending the
>> currently available API stack regarding channel drivers? I'm aware of
>
> No, and no :-)
>
> Asterisk will always treat channel drivers as 'Asterisk channels', not
> as their underlying technology, at least to a great extent.

Thanks for the fast answer. I admit I was expecting such a reply... :)

However, since we're covering the subject, there's a feature that I
think could be safely and harmlessly added anyway, i.e. getting
information upon the negotiated codecs in a channel. Currently the only
way to understand which audio and/or video codec has been negotiated is
waiting for a frame and look at its subclass: which means that, as long
as no frame is received, there's no way to know this. The same
information polling approach could also apply at several other aspects
of the underlying media, since, while signaling protocols are a lot,
always RTP is used.

Regards,
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Miniero, Junior Researcher
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
Email: lorenzo.miniero at unina.it