[asterisk-dev] chan_cellphone - Mantis issue 8919

David Bowerman david.bowerman at gmail.com
Fri May 11 17:51:11 MST 2007

As the author of chan_cellphone heres my $0.02 worth..

I originally called this driver chan_btmobile. As I live in Australia
(Tasmania actually) cell phones here are called 'mobile phones', and
the 'bt' bit was to signify that the driver was for bluetooth
connected mobile phones.

Before I posted the 1st patch, I renamed it to chan_cellphone, as I
thought the majority of the * community would be more familiar with
the term 'cell' rather than 'mobile'.

It is true that right now, chan_bluetooth is probably the most
appropriate name, but as pointed out by me and others, there is
already a chan_bluetooth. Most conversations Ive had with people over
the last few months would tend to indicate that chan_bluetooth is
probably now dead, so calling this one chan_bluetooth would probably
not be a problem.

As pointed out by jason, it is entirely possible to support usb
connected phones with this driver, and I'm already working on that. So
a core driver with abstracted out interface methods is entirely
possible. So keeping the term bluetooth  in the name is proably not
wise in the long term.

My vote would be for chan_mobile, with the term mobile meaning mobile
device, not mobile phone. The driver already supports headsets and
this fits the description of mobile devices. When usb devices get
integrated shortly, this name would also fit those.

hope this helps

cheers

Dave Bowerman