[asterisk-dev] chan_cellphone - Mantis issue 8919

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Thu May 10 11:18:13 MST 2007

Hey all,
    This was discussed a little in the past, but I'd like to bring it up one more time, and get an official consensus from the community.

I'm planning on committing the patch in Mantis issue 8919 (chan_cellphone) soon, and before I do, I wanted to get thoughts from all of you on what we should actually name it.  Some of you (myself included) have voiced concerns about the name of the channel driver - it's outgrown it, since it no longer supports *just* cellphones.  It also supports bluetooth headsets, and in the future could support even more (bluetooth fax profile, anybody?  who knows what the future may hold).

chan_bluetooth seems to be the most obvious name, but that's already used by another similar channel driver - that would only cause confusion...and confusion is very bad.

I'd like to propose the name "chan_mobile" (Matthew Rubenstein gets credit for suggesting it as the new name (but a google search says I called it 6 months prior - before chan_cellphone even existed :p))

If you have thoughts/feelings for/against the name or for/against the name change, please feel free to voice them here, or to me privately.

--
Jason Parker
Digium