[asterisk-dev] Adding Octastic Soft-Echo to external SIP adapters

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon May 7 08:57:23 MST 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 10:54 am, Vazir wrote:
> So the echo is generated by the VOIP side. I can hear it
> very well is I switch off echo cancellation on the CISCO

Echo is not generated by VOIP.  VOIP is known as a 4-wire system.  Transmit
and receive paths are along totally separate (albeit logical) paths.

Echo is generated through several sources, most notably either poor hybrids
(devices which change the 4-wire ear and mic connections in the handset to
2-wire used by the PSTN) causing received signal energy to be reflected, and
by acoustic problems (speakerphone in a "hard" environment, physical coupling
of ear and mic, etc.

Digital phone connections do not cause echo.  VOIP does not cause echo.

Echo is most notably seen in VOIP systems because of the extra latency you get
through packetization, transport, etc.  circuit-switched calls are
very "fast" in this regard, and you almost never hear it as anything other
than what's known as a sidetone (hearing your own voice in your earpiece
almost instantaneously).

> but surprisingly CISCO takes 64 ms echo cancel parameter and
> cancels echo on a such a latent link...

Probably because the PSTN is being terminated by the Cisco, and it's echo
cancelling right at the PSTN interface.  This is exactly where echo
cancellers should be placed.

-A.