[asterisk-dev] Adding Octastic Soft-Echo to external SIP adapters

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon May 7 04:33:34 MST 2007

Christian wrote:
> a ping in a LAN takes around 1ms ..  zaptel reads buffers of 160bytes =
> 20ms from the driver. i don't think a LAN has so much latency
>
> i would think, the latency might change during a session, so the
> Echocanceler needs to be good at adaption.

You have many places where latency happens (in order, I think).

PSTN interface (zaptel)
Codec conversion (asterisk)
Packetization (asterisk)
Network (ping)
De-Packetization (IP phone)
Jitter Buffering (IP phone)
Codec Conversion (IP phone)

As far as I know there are no products out there that do EC on a VoIP
audio stream.  Not from Digium, not from Cisco, not from Avaya, not from
anyone.  EC on a VoIP link would take such a high amount of CPU to
handle such long echo tails it would not be worth it.

Most of the EC devices out there that I have seen have 16ms or 32ms of EC.