[asterisk-dev] M9645: provide zaptel master timing to spans

Paul Cadach paul at odt.east.telecom.kz
Wed May 2 10:55:36 MST 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> I'd like to get your input regarding
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=9645
>
> The patch adds an extra span method:
>
>  int (*sync_tick)(struct zt_span *span, int is_master);
>
> The zaptel sync master span will call it to any span (in which it is not
> NULL) at each of its ticks.

Is it better to have a call to such API every N (1000, 10000) ticks? At
least it will offload CPU processing, but still make channel driver to be
able to adapt its slave clocks according to zaptel's master clocks.

To be clear, when zaptel detects master clock change, it will immediately
call such callback to notify channel drivers about master change event. Of
course, it should pass its own tick counter to allow channel drivers to
adapt their clocks independedly on callback call frequency. IMHO this should
offload CPU/etc. but provide the same behavior as Tzafrir suggests.

Also, to perform card's clock source manipulation, you should collect
relatively high number of ticks to be accurate as possible, so I think
calling the callback often than one time per second is overkill.

WBR,
Paul.