[asterisk-dev] The New CDR system

Andreas Sikkema h323 at ramdyne.nl
Sat Mar 31 04:26:49 MST 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 23:06:46 Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Security. Funneling CDRs over IAX to a asterisk instance that had no
> outside connectivity that was billable would only expose yourself to
> maybe someone hacking their way into leaving bogus CDR records.

If your network design is so poor that your db server is connected to the
internet you deserve all the trouble you're going to get.

> I don't know if I would want a mysql or other internet enabled DB to be
> publicly facing. I could let a asterisk instance capture the CDR events
> and drop them to whatever backend is necessary without exposing the
> backend.
>
> Management, bringing the CDRs back to a single asterisk box would let
> you manage them all from a single point. Next step would be to provide a
> way for failover and/or queueing of these events on the off chance the
> other side is down.

In  what way is Asterisk so different that it needs to reinvent the wheel in
this area? Database servers have been the backend for webservers for at least
a decade now (and before that for other services) and the DB server creators
might just have solved most of the issues here. This whole idea smells of the
NIH syndrome.

Let's just use existing technologies and stand on their shoulders.

--
Andreas Sikkema