[asterisk-dev] The New CDR system

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Mar 30 15:43:40 MST 2007

zoachien at securax.org wrote:
> I'm a bit afraid to overload the iax protocol, imho some simple XML
> thing might be better ?
> I feel like the servers already have to process enough information on
> the 4569 port.

You must be insane if you think an XML encoded event would be less
overhead than a binary encoded event.  :)

Anyway, chan_iax2 would have extremely little processing to do on
events.  They would be sent over the network in such a way that they can
be directly passed into the event core and mapped to data structures.

Another argument for this generic event passing mechanism is for device
state notification.  After I'm finished playing with message waiting
indication, I am going to get device and extension state information
converted over to this system.  Then, these states will be able to be
shared between servers.  One phone will be able to subscribe to the
state of a phone that is actually on another server.

It would be really nice for those of you working on IAX2 softphones to
be able to support "buddy lists" with state monitoring natively in IAX2,
wouldn't it?

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer