[asterisk-dev] Event based MWI

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Mar 28 10:33:44 MST 2007

I have been working on a generic event system for Asterisk.  As a part
of this project, I have converted the way that Asterisk handles message
waiting indication to be event based instead of polling based.

For example, instead of chan_sip checking each mailbox every 10 seconds
to see if there has been a change, it now waits for app_voicemail to
generate an event to indicate that has a change has been made.

However, I just realized a pretty big problem with this approach.
app_voicemail does not know every time that a mailbox gets changed.  It
only knows about the instances where it gets changed by a caller.  There
are other ways voicemail can get modified, such as with a web based
voicemail interface, or an email client in the case of using IMAP storage.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I would be interested to hear
them.  I can probably still keep going with this and still get MWI
shared between servers.  However, it may mean that the change won't have
the efficiency gain that I had hoped for.  app_voicemail may have to do
its own polling of mailboxes that have been subscribed to so that it
knows about changes.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer