[asterisk-dev] Parsing in Asterisk

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:21:16 MST 2007

On 3/12/07, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:

> On Monday 12 March 2007 16:51, Sean Bright wrote:
> > I am probably missing some history, but why doesn't parsing of
> > arguments happen before the apps even get involved?  Purely for BC
> > reasons?
>
> It simply never has, and some uses would preclude that from ever
> happening (such as using app Exec or by passing arguments from a
> database).

I'm probably also missing some history.
I'm left wondering what all changes will need to be done by the applications
parser, vs what all changes are at the extensions.conf level.Why is the
comma preferred to the pipe if apps already parse the pipe?
I'm also wondering how this will effect things like ExecIf and using Exec
from inside an AGI script (something I find myself doing often).

I remember once trying to figure out how to assign a new line to a dialplan
variable, and I concluded it wasn't possible. Is that true, and if so, would
this also fix that?

--Tim