[asterisk-dev] AMR support in Asterisk-SVN (codec_amr.so)

Paul Bagyenda bagyenda at dsmagic.com
Mon Mar 5 19:26:12 MST 2007

Hi,

  I've just done a first stab at AMR-NB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Adaptive_Multi-Rate) support in Asterisk (SVN). It is tested with at
least one device (Nokia E-series) and works fine. I hope this proves
useful to people out there, comments/views welcome.

  Also I'd like to solicit views on how to get past one fairly
significant issue: Asterisk does not seem to provide a clean way to
get access to/provide out-of-band signalling info, such as what one
gets via SDP on a SIP channel. For AMR this is important since this
information tells us how the client intends to code the AMR packets
(see RFC 3267, Sect. 8.1). A first glance seems to suggest we need
some major surgery to some key modules to allow this...

  Because my implementation makes use of 3GPP TS 26.104, there is
also the small matter of obtaining permission from 3GPP to 'publish'
their code, if this ever makes it into Asterisk. (See http://www.
3gpp.org/faq/faq_2005_2.htm#A3.8).  I am not including the 3GPP code
in what is attached. Making things work is fairly simple:

- Get the code that is part of 3GPP TS 26.104
- Unpack it into a directory amr/ under the Asterisk codecs/ source
directory
- Add the attached Makefile to that directory.
- Apply the attached patch to Asterisk SVN code
- Unpack ast_amr.tgz over the asterisk source
- Type 'make' in the Asterisk top-level source tree

Will be glad to help privately on how to get things to work.

Paul.