[asterisk-dev] nVidia Cuda

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Mar 5 09:40:44 MST 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:07:44AM -0500, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	G.729 reportedly consumes about 16-25 MIPS, though the "I" (instruction
> set) determines the rate:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/speex-dev/2003-December/002131.html .
> We're talking now about distributing stream MIPS between CPU and GPU. I
> don't know whether G.729 can be factored that way, or what the
> IPC/dataflow dependencies are. Depending on the performance of the
> factored processes, the GPU might wait quite a bit, which might mean
> that a CPU could best be used to feed network queues of RPC to the GPU,
> with the logic-intensive factored processes running  on multiple CPUs on
> the network. If only one CPU is feeding one GPU, and the GPU waits on
> the CPU, then there aren't going to be any extra channels to feed stream
> data to the GPU.
>
> 	It might be a better architecture overall to port these codecs to
> OpenSER, which is the architecture for scalable channel loads, feeding
> Asterisk G.711, or something even more raw like SLINEAR etc.

Start from something simpler:

100 concurrent runs of sox transcoding speex , with no Asterisk
threading to mind about and with no patent issue to muddy the water.

My personal feeling is that the price of the GPU would be better spent
on a stonger CPU. Not to mention the fact that the GPU architecture seem
to scale very badly on a standard CPU system. But I'd be gladly proven
wrong.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org