[asterisk-dev] Re: Security Through Obscurity

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Mon Mar 5 04:00:46 MST 2007

Kevin,
  to me, the practice that have emerged now since many years in the
"industry" is to create a vulnerability report that contains
information (not the recipe) of the vulnerability, with possible
impacts of the vulnerability, work arounds, fixes and additional
information.  This way, it gives users who run the software the
ability to measure their urgency to update the software.  Not every
security issue is a problem, it all depends on where/when/how/... is
implemented the software. The only person who can really assess the
vulnerability is the person running the software in question.
  These vulnerability reports are most often sent to security mailing
lists such as Bugtraq.  Here is just an example of such report that
appeared in today's bugtraq:  http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/
1/461716/30/0/threaded
  I would highly recommend that digium implements that practice.
  And I think, at the end, this is what many people in the thread
were actually looking for, and I think it makes full sense to me that
the community receive that information.

my 2 canadian cents...

Marc.