[asterisk-dev] nVidia Cuda

Wai Wu wkwu at calltrol.com
Sat Mar 3 20:05:19 MST 2007

Hi devs,

Has any one looked into cuda to see if cpu intensive part of asterisk(like codecs and conference) can be moved to the G80 processor? I found that the GF8800 cards are very inexpensive (around 400 USDs per). I have ported some of our financial applications to this board and found almost 10x performance improvement over the 3GHz C2D host processor. I would like to do the same for asterisk.

To start. I have been looking into the asterisk code and have no crew how it is structured except the addon applications. Here I have two questions.

1) Is each channel use their own thread if a codec is used?
2) Which part of the asterisk code actually makes the call to the necessary codec? I notice in the applications. They save and set the frame format, then read from the channel. So I trace the read function, but all it does is reading from a file descriptor. So I need some help here.

Thank You