[asterisk-dev] Changing channel writeformat in ast_openstream_full

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Wed Jun 27 10:56:27 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I've noticed that ast_openstream_full(), in file.c, changes the
channel write format to conform to the format of the file being opened.
I am wondering why this is so, since the way I see it, file
operations should just provide a data stream to be used by other
layers and modules.

More to the point, this behavior was causing some issues in
app_conference, when sound files of different types where queued for
playback.  When playing a file encoded in gsm, if a second file,
encoded in ulaw, is queued, then ast_openstream_full will change the
channel write format in midflight with all the obviously nasty results.

Can somebody shed some light into this?

Thanks,
Mihai