[asterisk-dev] help me

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jun 26 15:47:23 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 14:18, Steve Totaro wrote:
> William P.N. Smith wrote:
> > I suspect (hope?) Murali was asking for details of how the code
> > works, not how to install, configure, and run Asterisk.  I'll admit
> > to a similar interest myself.
>
> While I am not a developer, I would assume it would make sense to
> start with the core and then explore the modules.

It's actually better to start with the modules, specifically apps/ and
funcs/, and branch into the core only when you need to understand
specifically what each app or func is doing.  This is far easier than
trying to understand the entire core, which is rather complex and
multifaceted, all at once.

This is the way that I learned, and I would recommend the same path to
anybody who might like to become a community developer someday.

Also, stay away from the bigger and more complex apps, such as Dial,
Voicemail, Meetme, and Queue, at least until you have a good
understanding of some of the smaller applications and functions.

In terms of overall complexity, the next step would be formats, codecs,
res, pbx_* functionality, some of the smaller channels (stay away from
IAX2, Zap, and SIP), and possibly even some of the core code, such as
manager.c.

--
Tilghman