[asterisk-dev] Fixing Asterisk DNS - bug 9152, asynchronous DNS, etc

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Fri Jun 22 02:45:25 CDT 2007

21 jun 2007 kl. 22.42 skrev Russell Bryant:

> Olle E Johansson wrote:
>> 21 jun 2007 kl. 18.08 skrev Russell Bryant:
>>> We already have an asynchronous DNS handler.  It's just that most
>>> of the
>>> code hasn't been converted to use it.  It is open for anyone to
>>> jump on
>>> and as I said before, it's not terribly difficult to do, but it will
>>> take some time.
>>
>> Do we? Where's that code?
>
> implementation: main/dnsmgr.c
> example usage: channels/chan_iax2.c

Hmm, last time I checked this wasn't really what the rest of the
world calls "asynch DNS",
but things may have changed and I will check again. Kevin also used
to have some doubt
whether dnsmgr was the right way to go, so I put implementation of
that on hold for
chan_sip, but if it's now the proper way, I'll look into it again and
see if we can enhance
it so it can help us improve DNS support, especially in the area of
SRV records in SIP.

If someone else wants to take a look, that would be really, really
helpful.

If dnsmgr is not asynch DNS, I suggest that someone takes a look into
the C-ares library.
It has a license that Kevin/Mark has approved of and will help us to
proper asynch
DNS. It's used by curl, so in some installations it's already used by
asterisk in app_curl.

/O