[asterisk-dev] Fixing Asterisk DNS - bug 9152, asynchronous DNS, etc

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:08:03 CDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Jeffrey C. Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 15:13 -0400, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> >
> >   It appears that a good start would be making Asterisk DNS resolution
> > asynchronous inside of dns.c and making dns manager work with
> > chan_sip.  Or maybe not.  Does anyone with more clue have any better
> > ideas?
>
> Outside of making every DNS lookup in Asterisk asynchronous, your best
> bet would be to run BIND as a caching-only nameserver on the Asterisk
> box.  Change the resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.1.  If you need to run
> DNS queries through your ISP's nameservers you can tell BIND to forward
> all queries through those nameservers.
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

  I have used that "solution" with mixed results in the past (usually
using dnsmasq).  The problem is that no good DNS Cache will cache a
result longer than the TTL on the record so your "success" using this
solution will depend more on the TTL than anything else...

  I'd like to fix the real problem in Asterisk and not depend on any
external hacks.  This includes:

- DNS Caches
- Hosts files
- etc