[asterisk-dev] Feature Request - new manager commands - 'getcontexts' and 'getcontext'

Caio Begotti caio at ueberalles.net
Sat Jun 9 17:59:00 CDT 2007

On 09/06/2007, at 16:57, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Wouldn't adding these commands defeat the intent of the http server in
> Asterisk?  The intent, as I understand it, is to be lightweight, to
> shift all
> of the complexity of the configuration into the browser, so the
> Asterisk
> process isn't spending time doing string processing for the manager
> interface
> (and thus properly spends its time on call processing).

I understand that adding new manager commands with *almost* the same
behavior is not good at all, but considering that web applications
are not that smart and fast when doing big parsings maybe it would
help Pari in his task.

I compare that with a very huge file and a magic "sed" command that
does the trick but is awful and slow. However, it still seems to be a
design issue: adding new manager events once in a week seems to be
wrong, I agree.

If the problem is performance here, as Pari seems to state so, then
perhaps it's really necessary to put it inside the manager code to
make it fast and specialized instead asking Asterisk for the whole
extensions.conf with hundreads of contexts and big contents (yeah,
ok) then parsing it all. Anyway, as you said, it isn't necessarly
that intensive for a C app :-)

> I understand that this type of processing isn't necessarily that
> intensive,
> but every little feature that we add to the manager for the GUI
> incrementally
> lessens the CPU available for calls.

What about a common and external way to add new manager commands on
demand? I mean, not really a module loading and unloading. So any
company, group of users, whatever could write in an extra and
standard .c file a bunch of their own and very customized manager
commands and *they* would have to mantain that without patching
manager.c with tons of lines of code needing a heavy testing, for
example.

Respectfully,

--
Caio Begotti