[asterisk-dev] IAX Generic Media Frame Specification proposal - second draft

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Tue Jun 5 20:04:29 MST 2007

Hi all,

I'm attaching the second draft of the IAX Generic Media Frame
Specification proposal (formerly known as the IAX Video Packetization
proposal).  In fact "video" would be kind of a misnomer now, since
the proposal attempts to provide a generic solution for the transport
of all kinds of media.

What's new:
  - use 16 bits for timestamp and stream ID: since this type of
frames can be used to transport media other than video, it will be
beneficial to reduce the size of the header.
  - use of RTP payload formats is encouraged, since it will enhance
interoperability between the two formats
  - clarified definition of stream IDs
  - changed and clarified the definition of Payload Type  - now
called Format ID.
  - defined timestamps in a similar way as in RTP (keeping the 1Khz
IAX clock): enhances interoperability and helps synchronization
between streams.
  - added references to related standards and drafts
  - many other minor improvements ...

As always, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions.

Cheers
Mihai