[Asterisk-video] Re: [asterisk-dev] Video packetization proposal

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 4 10:23:47 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 11:20 -0400, Mihai Balea wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2007, at 5:53 AM, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> > Then, create another document to adress the theora packetization
> > independently
> > of IAX, so we could use it also for rtp.
>
> People have already came up with proposals for Theora packetization
> for RTP. Here's a draft from Xiph:
>
> http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/theora/doc/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-theora-00.txt
>
> I borrowed liberally from that draft when I wrote my proposal, but
> there are things in there that I believe are not necessary.  For
> example they allow multiple video frames per RTP frame.  I believe
> that it is far more likely to have video frames that are too big to
> fit in one network frame than to have video frames small enough to
> warrant coalescing them.
>
> As far as I know that draft hasn't got a lot of circulation and I'm
> not aware of any implementations.  As such, I don't think it should
> be considered gospel.

It's in GStreamer at least:

http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/gst/rtp/gstrtptheoradepay.c?revision=1.4&view=markup
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/gst/rtp/gstrtptheorapay.c?revision=1.6&view=markup

The document is authored by Xiph, the same people that developed Theora
in the first place.  Seems like that would be a pretty authoritative
source...