No subject

Thu Jul 12 09:23:04 CDT 2007

Zaptel within 48 hours of their release. People are asking us all of the
time when a certain bug fix is going to be released. Since I don't make the
distro either, when the distro gets released, someone will ask me to install
it on their machine. The distro makers are the ones that spend the 24 to 48
hours testing their update mechanisms. They don't really test asterisk.

I don't think that it is that large of a task to employ some sort of beta
release system here. We expect that each release would be more stable than
the last. I should be able to grab 2 or 3 "dot" numbers back and get less
features for more stability, or just less features. That certainly won't be
the case when the little bugs that have popped up recently are fixed. If the
maintainers of the project can push a testing release, then the distros will
follow suit, and the end user experience should be much better.

I had no idea before I started this thread that there were so many people
VERY afraid of updating when new releases came out. I didn't think that
there would be damage control from Digium. I admire the people who maintain
this project and contribute to it. I've never backed the also-rans. I've
been through several of these technology trends, but this one would be over
for me is this project fails. Obviously I don't think it will since I'm
betting on this horse.

Digium just can't call someone a troll that asks for a little heads up time
before a release and that offers resources for testing. The end user
experience needs to be the goal here.