[asterisk-dev] zaptel, menuselect and autoconf

Bob Atkins bob at digilink.net
Tue Jul 31 13:01:27 CDT 2007

It turns out that that I only submitted one bug report
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7876 originally on 9/3/06 for the
v1.2 build issues which was then extended to the v1.4 build issues and
was left in my court on 3/26/07. I haven't responded because the fixes
would have been ugly band aids. Proper fixes required a re-design of the
entire build process and I didn't have the time or resources to do it.
After performing the work on the original v1.2 Makefiles and having them
'perfect' for both Solaris as well as other OS builds I was not prepared
to try and re-engineer the new build process in v1.4 to be portable
across all operating systems using autoconf alone. I didn't agree with
the menuselect process in the v1.4 and I didn't want to spend any time
engineering it out of the build process only to start a big controversy
and have the work rejected. We just needed the build process for v1.4 to
work on Solaris and I was completely blown away by the introduction of
menuselect and its inherent problems. We couldn't even get menuselect to
compile on Solaris so that pretty much ended its use here and we just
got the machete out and hacked it out of the build process until we
could get a v1.4 build to work. The resulting Makefiles are ugly and
very Solaris specific - something that I would not want to post as a
potential patch.

I really wish that I could spend the time and resources to engineer a
solid autoconf build process for asterisk but we are all tapped out. All
of the 'options' that menuselect handles could easily be incorporated
into an autoconf process as various build options. Has anyone looked at
what it takes to build PHP lately? There are a large number of options
that are handled very well by the autoconf process and make it very
easily to automate the build process. We use build scripts here that
wrap the entire build process into a single script that any junior admin
to could safely run to build most open source packages and even create
the Solaris specific installation packages. The result is consistent and
predictable software builds.