[asterisk-dev] zaptel, menuselect and autoconf

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jul 31 11:20:56 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:46:15AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 08:13, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> > > I think the main benefit is persistance.  If you really only need
> > > to build two modules for a particular installation, then it is
> > > easier simply to do (on update):  "svn update ; ./configure ; make
> > > ; make install" (and remember, it is EXACTLY the same sequence as
> > > Asterisk, which, on an update, you are going to build as well).
> > > And the persistance saves you both thought time (what does this box
> > > actually have installed in it?) and compile time (why am I
> > > compiling a module that this box will never use?).
> >
> > Is this supposed to be quoted as an atvantage of menuselect?
> >
> > Menuselect breaks persistance: it starts a user interface. It
> > must be interactive. Thus does not allow simple automation the way
> > configure (autoconf) is. You can't "save" the choices you made there
> > in your command-line history.
>
> Not in your command-line history, but your choices are saved and will
> persist across an upgrade (assuming you're still in the same release
> branch).
>
> > How do you automate the action of "disabling chan_zap"? How do you
> > automate the action of "enabling only ztdummy" (of the zaptel kernel
> > modules)?
>
> Please understand the difference between automation and persistance.  I
> simply meant that you only need to interact with menuselect once, at the
> point of installation.  Thereafter, you need only run the sequence.
> Furthermore, the sequence that you run to upgrade your entire install
> base is the same, regardless of the difference in cards installed in
> each machine.
>
> I do understand that as a package maintainer, your needs are different,
> in that you would prefer to have automation over persistence, but for
> those of us who install Asterisk from source, the persistence is
> preferred.

If you didn't change anything, why run configure?

If you just want to regenerate all of the config files created by
./configure without needing to remember the command-line parameters you
used, run:

  ./config.status

You can always have ./myconfigure with all of your switches and
enviornment settings for configure. This will also help cross-builders.

Would it help if I add to configure.ac an extra --with switch to
generate a ./myconfigure script with all the command-line options
(except the --with, of course) ?

Or is this too much of a bloat?

And my original question still stands: why is a custom configuration
actually needed? Besides being cool, how useful is it?

Again: use cases, please.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org