[asterisk-dev] qualify= meaning in sip.conf ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Jul 31 03:30:48 CDT 2007

Reading sip.conf.sample, i was under the
impression that the time that you specify with the qualify
option, e.g.

        qualify = 5000  ; milliseconds

was the rate at which OPTION messages were sent to the remote
party, and one could adjust that to keep dynamic entries in
firewall and NATs from closing.

It turns out that the my impressions are wrong, and the qualify= value
only specifies the threshold over which a remote party is considered
"slow" in responding (whatever it means).

Given that keeping dynamic entries alive is a real need, we need
a way to adjust the period of OPTION, or a way to implement
keepalives (which are less expensive for both the sender and the
receiver, as they don't require the creation and parsing of a full message).

So, which way do we want to go ?

+ implement sip.conf options to set the timeout(s) for OPTION messages
  to something other than the default 60/10

and/or
+ implement a keepalive=... option that generates periodic keepalives
  to peers we are registered to ?

	cheers
	luigi