[asterisk-dev] RFC: chan_sip.c code cleanup for better NAT support (including stun)

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Jul 19 08:50:51 CDT 2007

> >>  The functional changes should be completely backward compatible
> >>  (except possibly for bugs, but i am not aware of any).
> >>  However, since i don't know whether some incompatibilities could
> >>  come out, I prefer to do the work in trunk and merge into 1.4 only
> >>  when it is complete and we know that there are no surprises.
> >>
> >>  Let me know if you have objections.
> >
> >Given that these are all optimizations, they should go into trunk only
> >and not into 1.4 at all (unless one of them fixes a definite bug in
> 1.4).
>
> I agree with Tilghman.  These changes seem to be a good idea, but
> they do introduce quite a few "new" concepts, and I'd be more
> comfortable leaving them in TRUNK and not in 1.4.  The only exception
> to this would be some of the clarifying documentation notes in the
> sip.conf file that you've made, which are a big improvement on
> clarify of function for some existing features.

I agree with that assessment. As I understand it, 1.4 has entered into a
phase where no new features or behavior changes should be added to it unless
dire circumstances arise. I'm just now feeling comfortable w/ the
pre-production 1.4 stuff that I have in limited deployment and am very
vigilant about watching what patches go into the branch. So far, so good,
but changes to the NAT handling behavior would make me uncomfortable.

Now, that doesn't mean that it can't be maintained as an out-of-tree
backport by someone, but someone needs to volunteer to shepard the flock on
that one.