[asterisk-dev] Asterisk configuration - client/server protocol

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jul 19 07:14:33 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 01:25:57PM +0200, Stig Even Larsen wrote:
> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> > Stig Even Larsen wrote:
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > It would be nice to have a client/server protocol for generating the
> >  > internal Asterisk configuration structures from any source
> >  > (sql,ldap,web-services,etc).
> >  > This way it would be very easy to tightly integrate Asterisk with
> >  > existing/new systems.
> >  >
> >  > Is this something worth following up?
> >
> > I believe that is called ARA (Asterisk Realtime Architecture aka Realtime).
> >

> I think I was too implicit in my initial post.
> This is not the same as Realtime. As far as I know the only supported
> realtime medium is SQL/LDAP.

Why? There's also Radius. And "SQL" is far from being a single entity
(even though some peole would prefer it to be "odbc").

> What I'm suggesting is a more dynamic way
> of getting and updating configuration (static and realtime). My
> thought is that Asterisk could "request" XML file from any source for
> configuration at startup/reload.

Look into the #exec configuration directive. It's as dynamic as it can
be: an arbitrary shell command to generarate a configuration file
snippet. It gets evaluated by Asterisk on each reload.

> Consider the following configuration option.
>
> extconfig.conf
> sip.conf => xml, https://some.address/sip.conf.xml

Make sure each sip entry (peer/user/friend) has an optional "class"
entry. If there is a "class" you'd generate the entry '[entryname](class)'
rather than the entry '[entryname]'.

This allows controlling classes of entries separately.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com