[asterisk-dev] May I merge in my AEL upgrades?

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Tue Jul 17 21:44:35 CDT 2007

Hey, folks--

I'm feeling like it's time to merge in my work on the enhancements
requested in 7605, which comes tangled so badly with 7638, I'd like to
merge in what I've done so far for that, too.

This is what it contains:

1. a standalone chunk of code that's been mercilessly hacked (with an
axe) from asterisk, that reads in config files (specifically
extensions.conf) into the
category/context/exten structures we all know and love. It compiles into
a .o, and has 'public' functions you can call. It provides the same
traversal funcs
you use inside asterisk. If you are smart about it, you can use the same
code both inside asterisk, and outside of it as a standalone... if all
it cares about
is config files.
2. aelparse has a small upgrade with uses chunk (1) to find out if a
macro/context name referenced in extensions.ael is in extensions.conf,
and thereby eliminate a warning. It will also complain if you have a
macro
in extensions.conf, when it needs to be a gosub definition.
3. a prototype standalone program, conf2ael, that will use chunk (1) to
read in extensions.conf, and generate an extensions.ael for you. Right
now, it's
totally unintelligent, and bare-bones, but I plan to upgrade it with
flow
and dependency graphs, and make it a bit better at reverse-engineering
your
spaghetti into nice loops, and switches, etc. Did I say spaghetti?
Sorry! I meant your WONDROUS extensions.conf code!

I also refactored the AEL parser to allow for future work and form a
nucleus
for what someday may be AEL3.

Chunk (1) can also be used in the future to form a foundation for
careful checking (linting?) of the extensions.conf file for obvious and
non-obvious problems.

All the above is in the branch, team/murf/bug_7638, or more
specifically,
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/bug_7638

Oh, and I promise, before I commit, to make one more pass over the code,
and make sure it's up to snuff as far as the coding guidelines!

Please review the above code. If you have objections, questions, etc,
feel free to ask. I'd like to get this into trunk now, if it's OK with
everyone!

murf (aka codefreeze, wyoming)

--
Steve Murphy