[asterisk-dev] SIP session-timers: concept, discussion

Grey Man greyvoip at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 17 20:20:27 CDT 2007

This is a great idea! I wasn't aware of that SIP RFC but now having read it and checked that a lot of our customer ua's are indicating support for the timer (Netgear ATAs for one) it would solve a lot of call disputes we have as well!

I'm about to go off and explain to a customer why he was charged twice for a call that he claims wasn't even picked up. I end up doing this two or three times a month and invariably it's with respect to international GSM networks with nice hefty call charges. I've never been able to work out exactly why these calls don't hangup ( we use rtptimeout and rtpholdtimeout) and at the very least it's nice to know I'm not the only one :).

My company would also be happy yo conrtibute to any bounty put on this functionality. From my very limited knowledge of the sip channel code it may not be a huge job since there is already a scheduling mechanism that gets used for retransmits (ast_sched_add_variable) and the same approach could be incorporated for session timers.

Regards,

Greyman.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all webmail accounts.