[asterisk-dev] Dial() Staggering

Nicholas Blasgen nicholas at blasgen.com
Tue Jul 10 13:06:40 CDT 2007

I'd like to modify the Dial() command to impliment a new flag.  I would like
a suggestion on how best to do this.  I'm a decent programmer but at the
same time I hate messing with source and dealing with recompiling the entire
package.  I'd prefer to do this as a module if possible.
What I'm doing:

Dial() already supports dialing multiple lines at once and connecting the
first answered line to the user.  I want that exact same functionality but
would like to be able to space out (or stagger) the dialing of each line.
An example might be I want to dial 5 phone numbers with a wait time of 30
seconds.  But I want it to try the first number for 2 seconds before
starting on the next number.  Then at that point it would be ringing 2
numbers (with 2 seconds between when each was dialed).

The purpose of this modification would be to give the main number more time
to answer before bothering the other workers with a call that there are
better people to handle.  I'm not trying to dial 1 person, wait 20 seconds,
then dial another person.  The user would need to hang on the phone too long
for that.  And at the same time I don't want it calling everyone at the
company at the same moment.

--
/Nick